The typical New Year’s resolutions are to lose weight and improve health. However, many of us also start the new year with a spending hangover from the holidays. If you would like to start the new year with some extra cash and an organized, de-cluttered home, why not sell or trade in some of your clutter old valuables.
There are many ways to do this, but here are just a few that will net you some extra cash:
1. Sell your old cell phones. You probably have a drawer in your house filled with your family’s old cell phones. If they are old models, consider selling them at sites like gazelle.com or yourenew.com. If you have an older model of an Apple phone, you can also look into selling it on Craigslist or eBay.
2. Sell your old books. If you have textbooks that are only a year or so old, you can make good money selling them on a site like half.com or cash4books.net. Unfortunately, older edition textbooks sell for much less than the newer editions, so sell them as soon as you are done with them.
If you have old cookbooks or reading books, you can exchange them at Swagbucks. Simply enter the ISBN number under the “earn” tab and then under “trade in.” While you won’t get money for the books, you will get Swagbucks (usually around 100 to 200 Swagbucks per book), which can accrue until you have enough Swagbucks to cash out for a PayPal or Amazon gift card. Even better, Swagbucks pays the shipping.
3. Sell your old video games. You might not have played a game on your old Nintendo system for years, maybe even decades, but there is still quite a market for it. Selling your old game system and games on eBay can net you $100 or more, depending on what system and games you have.
4. Sell your old computers. If you use your computer frequently when working from home, you might want to upgrade to a new, faster version even though your current computer is working good. A great place to sell your computer is on eBay. Just make sure to wipe the drive clean before you sell it so none of your personal information remains.
5. Sell your old cameras. If you are lucky enough to get a new camera for Christmas, you should sell the older one right away, before it gets older and loses value. Again, eBay or Craigslist is great for this. There is a site, sellmycameras.com, that offers to sell your camera for you on eBay. They take a 30 to 40% cut, so if you are comfortable selling on eBay, you should probably do it yourself.
Start the new year with less clutter and more money in your pocket. Instead of sitting watching football on New Year’s Day, why not go through some of your outdated items and start listing them to sell. You’ll be glad to have a bit less clutter and more money in your pocket.
Have you made money selling used electronics and books? What did you sell, and what site did you use?
- Looking for a New Investment other than Stocks? Give P2P Lending a Try!
- Compare Mortgage Rates
- FREE Credit Score!
- Get the Best Car Insurance Rate
- Best Savings Account
- Join Personal Capital Now for Free Financial Tools!